Dry Eye Evaluations
Nearly everyone has experienced a time when their eyes become dry. Dry eyes often cause someone to have blurred vision, redness, itchiness and ironically, watery eyes. Unfortunately for many people, this occurs daily and often lasts throughout the day. There are many factors that can cause the eyes to dry out including:
- Age/Gender – Dry eyes are more common in women especially over the age of 50.
- Diet – Many people are not eating correctly or not drinking enough water
- Lifestyle – The use of digital devices, people with increased sun exposure, smokers and excessive use of Contact lenses can cause eyes to dry out
- Disease – Certain diseases like Sjogren’s Disease and Arthritic conditions can lead to dry eyes
- Medications – Many common medications such as allergy, sleeping aids and birth control can cause one’s tear production to be limited
- Anatomy – Droopy eyelids and clogged Meibomian glands can affect the way our tears are produced
At GreenLake Eyecare, we take all these factors into consideration when we evaluate and treat a patient for issues relating to dry eyes. Not only we do we examine your eyes, but we can now examine your tears including the quality of tears produced, the volume of tears on the eye and with a non-invasive infra-red camera source, we can examine many of the actual glands that produce these tears. Once we figure out what’s causing the issue, we can properly provide a source of treatment, so the patient is not wasting time and money on products that do not seem to help.